Newly Diagnosed Programs

Newly Diagnosed? You are not alone!

If you’re new to Parkinson’s disease and are looking for resources you are in the right place. APDA is a great place to get started with reliable and concise information. We offer a variety of resources and programs for individuals newly diagnosed with PD as well as family members and friends who want to learn more.

New Diagnosis Packet

APDA Northwest has put together a packet of information to help people who have recently received a Parkinson’s diagnosis. These materials will get you connected to local resources and help answer questions in order to gain a better understanding of PD.

To request a packet in the mail. Please call us at 206-695-2905

PD Essentials

An Introduction to Parkinson Disease

A 75 minute session for those want to learn more. This program will give you an overview of Parkinson’s disease and provide you with information about community resources and support.

PD Essentials is free to attend, but registration is required.

Upcoming PD Essentials

DATELOCATIONREGISTER
Wednesday, May 8th
2:00pm
APDA Northwest
130 Nickerson Street
Seattle
Register
Wednesday, June 12th
5:30pm PT
On ZoomRegister
Thursday, July 18th
10:00am PT
On ZoomRegister
Wednesday, August 7th
12:00pm PT
On ZoomRegister

Would you like us to offer an in-person PD Essentials program in your community?

Call us to discuss options! 206-695-2905

PRESS Program

The PRESS Program  (Parkinson’s Roadmap for Education and Support Services) was designed for those diagnosed with PD within the last 5 years.

This 8 week program conducted in a support group format will help you feel empowered, in control, and optimistic. The PRESS (Parkinson’s Roadmap for Education and Support Services) program was designed to provide emotional support and a safe place to share coping strategies to live your best life with PD.

The course was invaluable in educating us, and alleviating a lot of fear about the disease and future. Leanne was an exceptional leader. She was consistently professional, yet warm, supportive, and encouraging of everyone to actively participate. It was very beneficial to hear from Randy, who has been living with PD for some time and his sharing his journey, successes, etc. I’m so thankful for this course and the opportunity to participate. Thanks for all you do!

Topics Covered:

• What’s Next After Diagnosis
  •  Medication Management of Parkinson’s
  • The Importance of Exercise
  • Dealing with Physical Symptoms of PD
  • Impact of Parkinson’s on Daily Coping and Relationships
  • Tips for Daily Living
  • Caring for Others, Caring for Yourself
  • Building Your Healthcare Team

FURTHER INFORMATION & PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:

•  Must be able to commit to attending all eight weeks – these are not drop-in sessions.
  • Care partners or family members are welcomed and encouraged to attend.
  • Program is free of charge.
  • Pre-registration required.  Program is limited to 12 participants.

“I think this is an excellent program for newly diagnosed PD people and their caregivers. Sometimes the information was not new to me as I’ve done a lot of reading, however at each class I gained a “nugget” (or more than one) to help me on my journey. Thanks so much!”

Next Sessions

Virtual Program: Tuesdays 12:00pm – 1:30pm PT
May 14 thru July 2, 2024
On Zoom

Registration

Email or Call Jen
jgillick@apdaparkinson.org or 206-595-4478

Parkinson Good Start

A 4-part educational program designed for those diagnosed within the last 3 years. Learn from a team of experts and receive up to date information about diagnosis & treatment.

NEXT SESSION: TBD

Support Our Mission

To support your local Newly Diagnosed Programs chapter please click the button below:

DONATE