Minnesota Board of Directors

Jamie Engebretson, President

I am a physical therapist with a neurologic certified specialty and practice at Bethesda Hospital’s Outpatient Clinic. I enjoy working to optimize people’s lives through therapy and educate individuals with Parkinson’s Disease on resources and research available. Over the years, I have educated various support groups and therapists on Parkinson’s Disease and the various treatment options.

Dr. Natalie Heinrich, Vice President

I graduated from Drake University with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and then completed a two-year Pharmaceutical Care Leadership residency at the University of Minnesota. During residency, I developed a new clinical pharmacy practice at the MHealth Fairview Neurology Clinic, where I have gained expertise in medication management for people with Parkinson’s Disease. I am passionate about empowering patients and caregivers, helping to optimize an individual’s medication regimen, and connecting people with community resources and support. I am thrilled to be on the APDA board in order to advocate for improved care and resources for people with Parkinson’s disease in Minnesota.

Dr. Sommer Amundsen-Huffmaster, Secretary

As an Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Neurology at the University of Minnesota, my work focuses on quantitative measurements of Parkinson’s disease motor symptoms. In the Movement Disorders Lab, we measure how people perform tasks such as walking, balance recovery, reaching, and talking. We look at how Parkinson’s disease impacts these tasks and how task performance changes with treatments like deep brain stimulation. I’m especially interested in understanding freezing of gait. I love working with the people who volunteer to participate in our research, and I’m excited to give back to the Parkinson’s community by serving on the board for APDA Minnesota. Outside of work, I enjoy reading, kayaking, and spending time with my husband, our two kids, and our dogs.

Stacie Usem, Treasurer

I am a Partner at Lurie, LLP, a public accounting and consulting firm based in Minneapolis. I focus my practice on professional services companies with a specialization in the healthcare industry. I am also very involved in non-profit organizations and have a passion for giving back to the community. When not at work or volunteering, my husband Jeff and I, and both our sons are die-hard University of Wisconsin-Madison Badger fans as we are all alumni.

Gina Porter, CNA, ACC/MC, HC, EDU

I founded Bluhen Care & Consulting LLC, a hybrid in-home care service that focuses on delivering personalized care and exercise guidance, as well as training, support, and respite for caregivers. I have worked in senior care for over 18 years and have prior experience in business management, sales management, recruiting and staffing. For over 25 years, I have been a committed volunteer for various non-profit organizations. I am a graduate of University of Wisconsin-Stout, and hold several certifications in the field of senior care and fitness, and the University of St. Thomas-Opus College of Business Fundraising Certificate.

Dr. Allyson Connor

I am a movement disorders neurologist at MHealth Fairview and an Assistant Professor of Neurology at the University of Minnesota.  I completed my M.D. at University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor, Michigan, neurology residency at University Hospitals/Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and my movement disorders fellowship at the University of Minnesota before joining the faculty at University of Minnesota in 2022.  I began working with people with Parkinson’s disease in residency which sparked my desire to focus my career on movement disorders.  My priority is to work with people with Parkinson’s and their caregivers to improve their quality of life and functioning.  I also serve as the Associate Program Director for the Movement Disorders Fellowship at the University of Minnesota.  Outside of work, I enjoy playing ice hockey and spending time with our four pets.

Sheryl Niebuhr, Ph.D.

A retired psychologist, Sheryl has extensive leadership and consulting experience in the
corporate, healthcare, and human service sectors developing services and professionals to address the health, well-being, and effectiveness of individuals and workplaces. Early in her career, she had the opportunity to develop and promote support services for family caregivers, and for those experiencing major health challenges, grief and loss. Her doctoral research focused on the impact of support services on family caregiver well-being.
Sheryl has served in leadership positions at the Wilder Foundation, 3M, and Staywell Health
Management and as leadership and clinical faculty at the University of MN and the University of
St. Thomas. She has served terms as the chair of advisory committees for The Joint Commission
and the Midwest Business Group on Health.
She currently facilitates a Parkinson’s Disease Care Partners’ Support Group. And, as care
partner to a family member in the journey of Parkinson’s Disease, Sheryl is experiencing
firsthand the vital importance of caring and collaborative healthcare providers, supportive
others, and easy access to information and resources.

Dave Ihle, Past President

My journey with Parkinson Disease began in the summer of 2015 when I was diagnosed with PD. It was a struggle to understand the disease so I looked for as much information as I could. This led me to the Minnesota Chapter of the APDA. I was encouraged to join the Board of Directors, and I became a member of the Board in late 2016.

I retired from 3M in June of 2015 after a 33 year career in the Manufacturing and Supply Chain organizations. I am looking forward to helping serve those with PD in the Twin Cities’ community as well as learning more about the disease and possible treatments.

Support Our Mission

To support your local Minnesota Board of Directors chapter please click the button below:

DONATE